Developmental Venous Anomaly

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

Developmental Venous Anomaly

Postby TomM1956728 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Hello,

I wonder if you folks could kindly help me.

I have not been feeling well for a very long time to the point that I can’t function.

All of my problems relate to the back of right side of my head. (The left side of my head is okay).

Some of the symptoms I have are the following:

(a) I feel like I may be losing consciousness. (I haven’t lost consciousness yet but I often feel like I’m about to lose consciousness).

(b) I feel some dizziness on the back of right side of my head.

(c) I have a lot of trouble focusing and concentrating.

(d) Whenever I get angry, I hear my heart pounding and beating in my head

(e) I have trouble sleeping (my “mind is awake” when I sleep)

(f) I feel some numbness in my right leg and some discomfort moving my right leg so I sometimes have to limp on my right leg.

(g) I feel some difficulty keeping my balance.

(h) I sometimes wake up from sleep noticing that there is some froth hanging out of the side of my mouth.

(i) Occasionally, I wake up from sleep noticing that my leg “jumped” like a sharp spasm.

(j) Sometimes when I wake up, I notice I’m clenching my teeth together involuntarily.

(k) Several times, I’ve experienced one strong, heavy beat on the upper left side of heart. Right after the beat, I felt the upper right side of back of my head feel weak and I’ve felt like I’m about to lose consciousness.

My symptoms don’t occur constantly but they occur at least a few times each day.

I also do have heart problems (frequent premature beats, premature atrial runs and atrial runs).

Since I’ve been having these problems for about 2 years and they’ve been getting worse, I was finally able to get an MRI.

(I’ve seen many doctors and they all refused my request for an MRI, and said my symptoms were due to anxiety. But I was finally able to find a neurologist who agreed to give me an MRI).

The MRI report says the following:

“Contrast-enhanced images of the brain do demonstrate a developmental venous anomaly within the right parieto-occipital lobe.”

“No evidence of associated infarct or gliosis is seen in this area.”

The neurologist only told me that I have a “small vein” in the upper right back side of my head – that’s the area where I’ve been experiencing all these weird symptoms – and that it’s nothing to worry about.

However, after reading the MRI report and after reading some information on the internet, and based on the many symptoms I’ve been experiencing over the past 2 years, I’m very worried and concerned.

Can any one please let me know what is the significance of a “developmental venous anomaly” and, based on the symptoms I’ve been experiencing, what may happen in the future?

Thank you very much for your kind attention and time. I greatly appreciate your kind help.

Tom
TomM1956728

Re: Developmental Venous Anomaly

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:31 am

Welcome Tom,

DVAs are commonly present with cavernous angioma. Do you also have an angioma? Angiomas can bleed and cause problems sometimes, but DVAs typically are stable. Angiomas are also not a critical part of the blood circulation in the brain, unlike DVAs. DVAs can not be removed because of their role in circulation. It is very unlikely that your DVA is responsible for all your complaints, but I am not a doctor, and consulting with the experts mentioned throughout the forum can give you a better idea of what's probably going on.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Re: Developmental Venous Anomaly

Postby Haris » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:50 pm

I have also the same symptoms .My DVA bleed once in Brainstem!
Diagnosis .Big caliber transpontine DVA with 1,3 cm peripheral hemmorhage in brachium pontis left.
Suspicion of existance of Mini cavernoma in Brachium Pontis left that bleed (suspicion, cause in 4 mris before bleeding only the DVA was there) .
Take care with anything that causes Valsava manouvers. Actually since your DVA is symptomatic you should have the same restrictions as cavernoma patients do. But this is my opinion.
Haris

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma