Can a cavernoma appear after a bleed?

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

Can a cavernoma appear after a bleed?

Postby batidoro » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi everyone. First of all sorry if I make a mistake, english is not my language.

This is my first message but I have read you thousands of hours the last year when I had a brain bleed. This forum was very helpful to me becaause there is not many information about this in my language.
One day 2 years ago I had a huge headhache and I went to hospital where they made me a CT scan that shown a bleed. First they thought that it may be caused by an arteriovenous malformation because of my age (27), after an angiography they discarded it, and then thought that may be a cavernoma, and they made me a MRI 3 months later, but there was not a cavernoma, they told me that I have in my brain a dilated vein (venous angioma) and somehow it bleed but they didnt know why, but I should't worry about it because it may bleed again or may not, but anyway the bleed would be small like the first time.

They told me that I should visit them once per year, in the first visit one year after the bleed they told me that everything was normal (except this vein obviously). Now I have to go again in 2 months. but I have read that a venous angioma can develop a "de novo" cavernoma, but I dont understand how it works, It means that in the next MRI or in a few years a Cavernoma may appear? Or it means that people who have a cavernoma related with a venous angioma have developed it during a process that takes the whole life?

I am getting nervous about the near MRI because i am affraid of what they could find. Maybe I am being just a bit hypochondriac.

Anyway, I want to thank in advance whoever spend some of his time reading this.
batidoro

Re: Can a cavernoma appear after a bleed?

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:29 am

Welcome,

Yes, I don't want to scare you even more, but you are correct. An angiomas can form around a DVA which sounds like what you have. It's possible, but doesn't always happen and even though we all worry, its nothing to worry about. We can worry about a million things, but worry does not help us. If it forms it forms...if it doesn't it doesn't and then u spent time worried about something that may never happen. Even if one does form, it may never bleed. This is not recommended, so I'm not suggesting what I do. I don't get MRIs anymore because I can't control my worry. They always seem to find something bad in my head...that worries me...it shouldn't worry me. I know better, but I'm human and I still worry...so I stopped checking and now I don't worry anymore.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:31 am

My phone cuts off my posts...

What I do is not advisable but it makes me feel better so that's what I do. You should follow ur doctors recommendations if they work for you. If I was to become symptomatic again, I would go back for another MRI but I hope I stay OK.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby batidoro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:18 pm

Thank you Elizabeth for your response. You are right, worrying about this can´t solve nothing at all, but sometimes I think that I am masochistic because I can`t stop doing it :lol:
I have another doubt that maybe you can solve. The DVA can create a cavernoma, right, but has this chance been there during all my life living with this ADV or this chance is related with the bleed 2 years ago? I mean, Is this risk related with DVA that has bleed or with all kinds of DVA? Because I don't know if this possibility has been there during my 30 years or this is a new danger for me since the bleed.

Thanks again, trully, this forum has been very helpfull to me, because I felt very alone with this problem and read all of you made me feel better during my worse moments with this problem time ago. You are doing a great thing.
batidoro

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi, I don't actually know the scientific answer to your question but my guess is that the risk has always been there. I do not think anything has changed with the bleed. So the good news is that if they have a clear image of the area and there are no angiomas visable now...you might be lucky and never get one. I thought you were going to say that ur follow up MRI showed one because sometimes the bleed "hides" the angiomas so sometimes they are there but can not be seen until later because there's too much blood in the way. If one "appears" later I would guess that would be why most likely, but of course I'm not a doctor and I'm not giving medical advise. Hopefully, you don't have one and none will appear.
Elizabeth

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma