orthodontic treatment an issue?

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

orthodontic treatment an issue?

Postby smartino » Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Hello! Our 15 yo son had surgery in 2016 to resect a temporal lobe lesion. He has been doing fine since then, with no more seizures. We want to keep on that path of wellness, however he would benefit from having some orthodontic treatment started at this point in his teen years. Does anyone know if there might be an issue with aggravating CCMs by having orthodontic treatment? Specifically, having an expander installed to widen his top arch, expanding the hard palate by force little by little over 4 months time. We are avoiding having teeth extracted to remedy his issues, as we feel that this would be too much trauma. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
smartino

Re: orthodontic treatment an issue?

Postby Michelle2000 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:01 am

Smartino -

I don't know the answer to your question. Does your son have any numbness in his face or mouth? My son has some special oral/dental concerns due to that. My daughter, who may or may not have CCM, had an expander when she was 9 or 10, and it was a real easy device. It was rarely painful (maybe the first day it was put in).

Best wishes,

Michelle
17 year old son with brainstem CM resected in March 2010, CM at C2-C3,
CCM2 mutation; DH & BIL with multiples in brain and spine; (MIL - deceased spine & brain)
Michelle2000

Re: orthodontic treatment an issue?

Postby Elizabeth » Sat May 19, 2018 3:58 pm

I don't know the answer to ur question either. I would ask the surgeon.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma