multiple Cavernomas

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

multiple Cavernomas

Postby Martin787 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:18 am

Hello.

I'm new to this forum and only recently found out that I have 2 Cavernomas in the brain (incidental finding)

Fortunately I have been asymptomatic my entire life (45 years of age) but obviously now I know about them, it is of concern.

Is there an increased risk of haemorrhage/epileptic seizure etc with multiple lesions? I have read numerous journals but the information appears to be contradictory depending on the journal you read.

thanks

Martin
Martin787

Re: multiple Cavernomas

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Welcome,

Sorry you've joined us but glad you found us. Why did you have the MRI in the first place? My doctors called mine an "incidental finding" too, but it was no coincidence that I had symptoms and they found my angioma. Mine was bleeding and growing causing all kinds of symptoms that my first several doctors said were "unrelated"... I don't agree, but that's in the past. Will multiples increase risk of bleeding? I don't know and I don't think anyone can accurately tell you. Seems logical that the more you have the more chances you might have...but I'm not sure it works that way. From what I've read it's more dependent on history of bleeding. The more bleeding you have the more likely to bleed again...especially in a recent time frame. The longer you go with no bleeding, the less likely it will bleed again. There are numbers but I can't remember them. Sorry. Best wishes!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby Martin787 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Hello Elizabeth.

I had an unfortunate accident and tripped over and hit my head on the corner of a table, I was taken to hospital as a precaution, the CT scan and subsequent MRI scan revealed the Cavernomas.

one is located in the left caudate nucleus and the other in the parietal lobe.

I understand the Parietal lobe Cavernoma is of more concern though because it is located in the cortex and thus a higher risk of seizure.

Brgds

Martin
Martin787

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:38 am

Well that's probably just a real "incidental find" then like they called it. Lucky! If you have never had a bleed, you probably never will and thats lucky. Many, many people have them and never know...its only when they bleed that they cause problems. The one I had was in my right caudate nucleus. It was bleeding and growing like like crazy causing all kinds of problems. If your not having problems...probably trying to forever about it is best...if you have problems then you have to look at it closely and get lots of opinions. My guess is you will be fine...no problems...I hope I'm right!!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma