3 distinct parts to my CA-no cancer!

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

3 distinct parts to my CA-no cancer!

Postby Mae » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:08 pm

(I'm starting a new thread. The same post is also found under an old heading of mine)

Mae wrote:
Mae wrote:I don't know if anybody who has had surgery has had this experience, but I got the impression from the docs that my CM wasn't so common.

The interesting thing was how they described the calcification. They said it was a hard lesion and looked grossly like a burned out cavernous malformation or brain rock, a result of many, many micro-bleeds over a long period of time. They had to hammer away at it and remove it in piecemeal fashion. This was evidently tricky because although my lesion was mainly in the R parietal lobe, these rocks were attached to my motor cortex and they couldn't vacuum it out or scoop it out as they normally do because they were afraid of damage to the motor cortex, which could have caused paralysis. Before surgery he said it would be very straight forward, but it turned out to be more of a challenge they they expected.

I've quoted myself 8-) to save time and give some history. I thought you might find my pathology results informative.

My resected lesion had 3 distinct parts: 1) the "brain rock" that was super calcified, old dried blood from many bleeds; 2) regular or typical CA tissue; and 3) the "secondary growth" that was cystic. After the surgery, they speculated that maybe my body had developed the secondary growth to protect the brain from the CA. They thought it was all CA stuff, but continued to hang on to the term secondary growth until they got the report. Well, I just got my pathology report and all 3 parts are CA. :) This is interesting because even though they called the brain rock part a burned out CM, there was still regular, active CM tissue, so I could have had more micro-bleeds or major bleeds.

It is also great news for me because my radiology reports often said "atypical" and several radiologists, including neuro-radiologists, had said that because it was atypical and because of the way parts of it looked, they couldn't rule out the possibility of an oligodendroglioma, a type of cancer, or a CA AND cancer. Needless to say, we are happy (despite my new problem with having some problems with language).

Mae
Mae, CA right parietal lobe removed 12/17/10 @ Barrow. Cav mal found to have 3 distinct parts & to be heavily calcified-- called "brain rock" by surgeons.
http://angiomacommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=315
http://angiomacommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48
Mae

Re: 3 distinct parts to my CA-no cancer!

Postby PattiG » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:42 pm

Mae,
How incredibly relieved you must be!!
Congrats on the good news.
Onward & upward, :)
Patti
Multiple CMs throughout my brain. I have had 4 bleeds requiring surgery between 1987 and 2010. Locations of craniotomies have been: L. parietal, R. parietal, L. temporal and R. thalamus.
A Central Pain Syndrome Survivor's Perspective http://strokeconnection.strokeassociati ... rspective/
PattiG

Postby adelle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:30 pm

I am very glad that you got this news. I didn't know that was a possibility, and I know that it had to have been weighing heavily on you.
One brainstem CA removed by Dr. Spetzler on 9/28/10. 2 CA's remain on the right frontal lobe but have not caused any problems that I know of.
adelle

Postby heidihi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:31 am

So happy for you! I've thought a lot about you and prayed for you! Please keep us updated...

HOw is your recovery going? How are you feeling, do you have any residual problems, might be too soon to tell though... I will keep praying and hope each day brings strength, happiness and a new you!
Dx w/CM 5/10, had ataxia, odd sensations, weakness in legs, finally could not walk and had a simple/partial seizure-surgery next day @ UCSF when I could not walk any longer. It's been almost 1yr & I am thankful to be alive, still struggeling w/transient weakness in both legs, now headaches & other things (poss. simple seizures) but I know I am here for a reason... Glad I found the AA~!
heidihi

Postby Beckyinaz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Yeah!!! Great News!!!! :)
6 screws now! Right Frontal Lobe CM ~ Craniotomy by Dr. Spetzler December 2006 ~ Also diagnosed with a Chiari Malformation (6mm) 2007 watching and waiting on that one.
Beckyinaz

Postby Fan of Barrow » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:08 am

What a relief :)
Diagnosed with 2 cm cavernoma in Left Parial Lobe after gross hemorrhage in June 2008 at 37 years old. Had it resected by Dr. Robert Spetzler at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix Arizona June 18th, 2010.
My surgery story: (formerly "linda_mom of 2")

http://www.angiomacommunity.org/ikonboa ... =2977&s=dr. spetzler
Fan of Barrow

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma