New diagnosis

New members can introduce themselves here

New diagnosis

Postby Jdiemart » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:27 am

Hello all. I was diagnosed over the weekend with a cavernoma in my frontal lobe that had hemorrhaged. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for a neurologist in the Southern California? TIA
Jdiemart

Re: New diagnosis

Postby Michelle2000 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:04 am

Welcome, Jdiemart. I'm sorry you need this site, but I'm glad you found it. I don't know about doctors in your area, but Elizabeth may be able to help you. You can also use the search feature (in the banner at upper right) to see other posts mentioning neurologists that people have had good experiences with.

Best wishes,

Michelle
17 year old son with brainstem CM resected in March 2010, CM at C2-C3,
CCM2 mutation; DH & BIL with multiples in brain and spine; (MIL - deceased spine & brain)
Michelle2000

Re: New diagnosis

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:07 am

Welcome,

I'm in north LA area and unfortunately seen a lot of doctors...most of which I would suggest you stay away from. I wasn't able to find a neurologist I really liked after seeing 10 of them...I sort of gave up and I've been stable, so I stopped looking. If you have seizures there's one neurologist at UCLA that I love...he's the best one I saw but he only manages seizures, Dr. Marc Newer. I ended up with surgery with Dr. Spetzler in phoenix after not having luck locally, but he just retired. If I needed surgery now, hopefully never again..but if I did, I would probably look at Dr. Spetzler's replacement, Dr. Lawton.

Side note:

There is a So Cal group of us that are meeting occasionally for events. If you want to be added to the list, send me your email and I will forward your info to the people in charge of organizing events. Its nice to feel like your not traveling this path alone. :)
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Return to Introductions