Starting this confusing journey

New members can introduce themselves here

Starting this confusing journey

Postby camipinsak » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi all,
I am really unsure if I even belong on this forum. Consistent headaches for six months led to an MRI resulting in the words "possible cavernous angioma" in the results. Primary care doctor freaked out. Sent me to local neurosurgeon. Neurosurgeon probably just scanned the report and let me know I needed "tertiary" care and to contact UCLA. UCLA cerebrovascular said I didn't need surgery and that it might not even be a C.A., possibly just calcification. And it was very small 1 mm. Sent me to the Migraine Headache division at UCLA. Also sent me to have another MRI with contrast. Contrast MRI gave me a raging headache - most painful I've experienced, but apparently no new developments. This report now says "chronic microvascular ischemia".
Migraine doctor says I have Migraines and gives me steroids to "re-set" my brain and implements regimen of taking Namenda as a preventative to headaches and Maxalt as an abortive. Also, regular MRIs. Good news is Namenda is used to treat Alzheimer's, so I guess that will be at bay. The thing is, I am 53. Active. Healthy. 125 pounds. Always had slightly high cholesterol, both kinds. But overall, I eat well and have led a very active lifestyle. My Dad, however, has a history of stroke (3) and a-fib. All the doctors know all of this. Guess I am just looking for some reassurance from a group of folks who are A LOT more informed about this than I.I just am feeling a little young to have these type of results. Don't get me wrong, I would much rather have migraines than an angioma. Just want to make sure that I don't "underreact" when I get bad headaches. Any similar experiences that you have would be greatly appreciated.
camipinsak

Re: Starting this confusing journey

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:38 am

Welcome,

I'm sorry...its scary at first. Read what you can under newly diagnosed section. If you have a cavernous angioma, usual recommendations are NO blodd thinners of any kind, no roller coasters, and no scuba diving. If you wanted more clarification...is it a CA or not??? You might want a second opinion. I would want to know personally. You can get a second opinion from Dr. Lawton at Barrows. Hes very knowledgeable and could probably offer good advise. Best wishes!!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Re: Starting this confusing journey

Postby camipinsak » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Thank you!
camipinsak

Return to Introductions