Do you feel nauseous after a grocery store or shopping mall

Discussions of issues related to living with cavernous angiomas

Do you feel nauseous after a grocery store or shopping mall

Postby joanncooper » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:38 pm

Hello all,
I’m reaching out to see if anyone is experiencing what I am. I had another bleed 8 months ago (this was my 3rd one). My first bleed was at the age of 29 and I’m now 53. I recovered really well with the other bleeds and only suffer with a couple of deficits that are manageable. This last bleed has been a slow recovery with a couple of new twists that I’m struggling with. It might be that I’m older now and it just takes longer to recover, but after 8 months I’m still dealing with extreme exhaustion. I think this will get better with more time, but the new issue is dealing with things like going to the grocery store or to a shopping mall. Being in that kind of environment makes me nauseous, my balance is off and my head feels like it’s full of water and my eyes just don’t seem to work together … in short, I don’t feel good at all. Sometimes it takes me until the next day to recover.
Has anyone experienced this or something similar? Have you found anything that helps to get past this?

(Side notes: My cavernous malformation is located in the brainstem – dorsal medulla. I have chosen not to have surgery. )
Last edited by joanncooper on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joanncooper

Re: Do you feel nauseous after a grocery store or shopping m

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:56 pm

I'm sorry u are having these troubles! Yes, I've had/still have all of the above. Shopping and driving are the two most difficult things that I do. I couldn't shop at all for a long time. I am now four years post op. I do go to the grocery store now regularly... The same store...and buy the same things...boy do I hate when they decide to "reset" the store. When they move all the stuff around I usually just don't buy the stuff I went in for.. .its too hard. I can't scan the shelves...its exhausting nauseating...etc! I had to start making my list by categories cause I'd walk all over the store 10 times otherwise. If the lighting is really bright I wear sunglasses and try not to look around much...I just get what I want and leave. The mall or clothes shopping...I still can not do. I can't look around. If I need something specific I ask for help...like a specific size or something. I wear earplugs too because its way too loud almost everywhere and that helps me conserve energy by blocking out some of the noise. I hope urs improves. Mine is better but still way off of normal. I buy most everything online these days. Good luck!!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby joanncooper » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience and I’m so sorry to hear that you are still going through this after 4 years!! Have you tried acupuncture? I did this after my last bleed and it helped with the motion and nauseous issues. I’m thinking of trying it again, but it is much stronger than it was before, so I’m not sure it will help.
joanncooper

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:15 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I tried acupuncture...but probably not for long enough as I got pregnant a few months after starting it and I stopped going. Now, I have a baby and no time....so when he's a little older I plan to try again. In the meantime I wear sunglasses, ear plugs, and mostly shop on line. :)
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby PattiG » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi,
Sorry you're going through this and hope it gets better w/time. :(
I don't get nauseous, but I do get exhausted and often feel overwhelmed w/ any shopping experience or outings involving too many people, or stressful environments.
I voluntarily quit driving since my 4th surgery (visual deficits), so outings are w/ my husband. We know ahead of time to limit activities, yet even w/ limits, I sometimes require time-outs on the couch for quiet time.
Like Elizabeth, shopping online can help avoid some of the stressors of shopping.
Btw, you and I had our first bleeds in our late 20's and now I too am in my 50's. ;)
Best wishes & know you're not alone,
Patti
Multiple CMs throughout my brain. I have had 4 bleeds requiring surgery between 1987 and 2010. Locations of craniotomies have been: L. parietal, R. parietal, L. temporal and R. thalamus.
Cavernous Malformations & Central Pain Syndrome: http://support.stroke.org/site/News2?ne ... 1&id=17759
A Day in the Life of CPS @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ed6hazqNYU&feature=plcp
PattiG

Postby joanncooper » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Thank you for sharing Patti! I can’t imagine going through 1 surgery let alone 4. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I pray for a cure every day!! It is good to know that I’m not alone.
joanncooper

Postby pribzzzz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:39 pm

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I too, experience this when going to the grocery store. Scanning the shelves along with avoiding the mass of other shoppers in the store can be too much for me. I have multiple CM throughout with one of 3 in brainstem causing issues. Surgery not an option at this point. I've learned what times are best to hit the grocery store and I too visit the same store using the same list. I normally don't go to the mall - I'm terrified of it. If I need anything, I shop online.
pribzzzz

Postby kirkmc » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:34 am

To mirror what others say, it is one of the most difficult things for me as well. My neurologist, a few years ago, explained why. If you have balance problems, supermarkets and the like are places where you are constantly moving your head and eyes from side to side and up and down, which causes issues with your balance. I've found that small doses of diazepam (valium) help a lot with that.
Two brainstem CAs in the pons. Big Bleed in July 2005, previous, undiagnosed bleeds in 1982 and 1987, and several smaller bleeds in the past few years. I live in a town in the French Alps. http://www.mcelhearn.com
kirkmc
Site Admin

Postby joanncooper » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:51 pm

Thank you pribzzzz and kirkmc! I’m hoping and praying it will get better with time. I love to window shop at the mall, so I refuse to let this thing keep taking away the things I love to do. I’m not sure if this is the best thing to do for a brain injury (my doctor says I have no limitations), but I’m approaching it like sports. The more reps you get, the better you get. This last hemorrhage rocked my world (the longest recovery time so far for me). I’ve had 3 hemorrhages and they have each been very different. This last one has affected my balance the most, so it’s been very challenging since I love to do activities from exercising to outdoors stuff that require a lot of balance. At first a slow walk was difficult, but I kept doing it every day until it got MUCH better. I’m not sure that I’ll get back to my normal activity rate, but I’m going to keep trying.
I’m glad I’m not alone and that there are others I can talk to that are experiencing the same things!
joanncooper

Postby MOE » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:08 pm

I too have nausea when going grocery shopping; you're optic nerve is probably a bit compromised by the CA. I assume its in your brain stem. Like others have mentioned its probably due to the scanning and refocusing that makes you nauseous.

Try going with someone to read the fine print and compare prices.

Like others have suggested I've become quite dependent on internet shopping and online banking but I was already heavily into that before I was diagnosed in 2008.
MOE

Next

Return to Living With Cavernous Angioma