My experience with cannabis and my CA

Discussions of issues related to living with cavernous angiomas

Re: My experience with cannabis and my CA

Postby var281 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:32 pm

My state legalized medical cannabis. I have been using Medical Cannabis off and on for treating my spinal cord conditions for the past couple years. I am not a stoner and was not interested in using these products before I had the CM bleeds. I have tried smoking, vaping, and oil. The thing that works best for me is smoking it in a glass bubbler. I clean it with rubbing alcohol with each use to remove the resins, which will build up and cause more side effects that are unwanted, such as feeling excessively stoned. However after a few weeks of using cannabis, it worsens its benefits to side effects ratio, so I have to take a few weeks off.

With the flower product smoked with a glass bubbler, I find that it relieves my pain fairly well. I am mixing a high CBD flower and a THC centric flower 50-50, both that were provided by the legal medical dispensary. I don't feel particularly stoned compared to the street MJ strains and it has a very consistent effect. My leg muscles do not feel as tightly spasmed and I am able to move around smoother. I do not have the outward appearance of a pain sufferer. It is helpful to use after the rehabilitative workouts I do so that I can avoid a flare up in spinal cord symptoms. The trick is to use very very small amounts, getting a glass piece that has a very small opening or using a filter screen or a small clean pebble. I like using a small clean pebble, putting it into the bowl and then putting a small amount of ground up flower on top, it creates a "nug plug" that lets you use a very small amount without it being sucked into the water. And I avoid using it more than two times a week.

I have tried three brands of CBD oils, but they do not work very well for me. I haven't found that they relieved the pain very well and they left me feeling drunk. The biggest complaint I have with it is it makes me feel very dumb. I have trouble reading or doing mental math and with visual spacial coordination. It is not like feeling stoned which you might get from traditional flower marijuana but more similar to alcohol intoxication. Most people do not seem to have that problem with it, I am not sure if it is particular to me or if the oils that I have tried are low quality or adulterated.

I tried making a CBD vapor fluid to be used with an e-cigarette "box mod" using propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine and dissolved CBD crystalline based on a recipe I found online. The result was an even more drunken feeling than the CBD oil, so I do not think CBD agrees with me. It is odd because it is often described as the pain relieving properties of MJ without the high. It definitely does not have a high for me, it has a different level of intoxication more similar to alcohol.

The high CBD flower seems to relieve my pain better than the oil and with less drunken feeling. It may be the relatively small amount of THC in the flower that is the source of my benefit.
T4/T5 Spinal Cord Cavernous Malformation removed by Barrow 2016, some remaining hemosiderin
small T11 Syrinx
Spinal Cord Detether in 2013
var281

Postby Aussie Mick » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:51 am

Wow your information is incredible. I am in the early stages of researching CBD after 14 years of research for my own temporal lobe angioma. It was never on my radar but the discussion about legalisation in Australia is following from the CA experience. I would really like to know more.
Aussie Mick

Postby Beka » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Thank you for posting on this!

My family and friends were suggesting that I use CBD oils for my left sided hemidystonia (spasms in left hand and foot). I tried for a little while, but was concerned about it becoming addictive. You're saying it isn't though? That's a relief!
The people at the dispensary told me that I would eventually need to add THC to my regimend, do you think they're right?
After reading through the posts, I'm wondering if I ended up getting a more watered down version.
I bought: Protect Tincture 10 servings per 15mg CBD. (I was taking this with tea at night for a week. It was going ok and then I had a falling incident, and old symptom from before surgery, so I backed off.)
Green Mountain CBD 30 capsules- 600mg CBD (unopened)
Hazy Daze Wonder Rub - THC 220mg/CBD 120mg/CBG 60mg (used once with no noticable affects.

I've never been a marijuana user, so this world is all new to me. I feel like it would be good to have a doctor who could prescribe marijuana review my case. The neurology movement clinic docs at were not supportive of it.

Would you have any advice for me moving forward?
Thanks!
Beka

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:44 am

Beka,

Where do you live? If u are in California, Cannakids is a good place to ask questions. You can make a phone appointment and they will advise you, but you can only buy their products if ur in CA. You can talk to them from anywhere.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby Beka » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:56 am

Elizabeth,

I live in washington state. Not sure what resources are out here for me. Thank you for the suggestion :).
I did try the cbd oil tincture for a few days, but stopped when I had a sudden fall (a symptom that went away after a few months post surgery). It left me feeling unsure of if it could help.
Beka

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:18 am

You could still do a consult with cannakids and have an expert answer questions, but you just can't buy any of their products outside of CA.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby Beka » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:49 pm

Thank you Elizabeth, I will look into it :).
Beka

Previous

Return to Living With Cavernous Angioma