My experience with cannabis and my CA

Discussions of issues related to living with cavernous angiomas

My experience with cannabis and my CA

Postby MOE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Just to get it out of the way, does cannabis or some cannabinoid reduce the size of a CA? No, not from my experience however it does help diminish some of the symptoms. Before I was diagnosed I was a commercial pilot so you can understand that this whole marijuana deal was not my thing. To keep things short I'll get right to it.

Smoking marijuana should be avoided as its probably the most inefficient way of consumption (most cannabinoids evaporate at 160-200*C (320-392*F) and a butane lighter runs at 1800*C(3200*F)) besides basically being the smoke of burnt plants in your lungs.

The closest thing to that is something called a vaporizer, it heats up the material to the point most cannabinoids evaporate and are breathed in but it doesn't burn the plant so you get no smoke and no smell.
Regular weed consumed via a vaporizer can help with nausea, appetite control and insomnia. Unwanted side effects; you will get high for a few hours but just a couple of drags will give you nausea relief for about 20 hours.

After my surgery I lost 18 kg (40 lbs) and after 5 years I had only gained 5 kg (10 lbs) back. I started vaping before bed every night and in 3 months I gained back the remaining 13 kg (30 lbs) but I was afraid that if I stopped consuming the effects would come back. My only supplier went overseas so I was left without anything for a good 4 months. I thought it would all come back but it never did, I was cured of the constant nausea and best of all I didn't feel I needed it.

I still had muscle spasms, vertigo, double vision and a partial paralysis to my left side that gave me permanent numbness and a pins and needles.

After about a year a friend gave me a drop of "weed oil" that I took right before bed. Not at a wild party but in my room with my parents present and hoping for the best. That night I felt more tingly all over than ever and the next day I woke up with an erection. It had been several years since I had one of those because 50% of my body was numb.

I started looking online and eventually I was shown how to make my own. Since I needed standardization and reproducibility I quickly improved upon the more "home-made" process to a more scientific regulated process with the help of my dad; an organic chemist. Overtime I found out ways to remove the "high"; allowing me to take larger doses without worry of unwanted side-effects.

CBD or canabidiol
CBD is the 2nd most abundant canabinoid in the plant but since its evaporation temperature is so low it wasn't really discovered until recently. CBD has a lot of uses and the only unwanted side effect is insomnia so I take it during the day. There are also strains of cannabis with extremely low THC levels like the very popular "Charlotte's web" that before was called "Hippie's disappointment" because although it looks like weed and smells like weed it won't make you high but given to a person with MS, Parkinson's, epilepsy, CA, etc will help.

Nerve regeneration
Remember the "boner"? Well with time other parts started waking up and I could feel hot and cold water with my left hand, my double vision wasn't as bad and my involuntary muscle spasms hapenned less often, lasted less time and hapenned in a smaller region.
A side effect of this waking up is muscle pain, like muscle cramps. Pain is the last thing you loose and the first thing you get back. A friend of mine ended up a paraplegic in 2004 after an accident; he was in a wheelchair for a decade with no feeling in his legs. He started taking CBD oil and the first thing he felt was pain. Good things came with that as well and the last time I saw him he was walking around with a cane. He said it was like slowly rewinding a tape.
Note: you will only get back what the CA lets you have. CBD is really good after a surgery if a portion of the CA is removed but it gets to a point that its like a tug-of-war between the CA and the nerve regeneration. Before and after MRIs show my CA to be the same size but no doc can explain the sudden improvement in symptoms.

Unexpected side effects of CBD
I'm married now and have a 2 year old son. Moments when everyone in my house has had the flu I've had nothing. I don't seem to get common colds or any other illness other than my CA related problems. This has been confirmed by patients taking CBD for Parkinson's, MS, etc. No coughing to cause a rebleed for example.

Even though falling on my butt before would give me a microbleed, now nothing seems to happen and it seems that as long as I take it regularly it prevents future bleeds.

Turns out CBD is also highly analgesic; my wife takes a bit of my oil (5 drops) if she gets a headache. She says it works better than any pill.

I've noticed that my nail and hair growth have increased greatly since I started taking CBD.

I bet this is just the "tip of the iceberg"; the next step is something called "cannabis juicing" with CBDa and THCa being the main cannabinoids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEP9FdIzT8&t=21s
MOE

Re: My experience with cannabis and my CA

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Wow...that is a great testimony. Thank you for sharing. If I was having any of these problems, I would be wanting to try the oil for sure! Does it help with fatigue? It does it make u sleepy? My main complaint now is fatigue, which I have tried most everything I can think of.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby MOE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:27 pm

As long as the oil has little THC it wouldn't make you sleepy. CBD actually wakes you up a bit and is good for anxiety so it might work plus its non addictive, non psychoactive.

If taken by a healthy person they wouldn't feel a thing.
MOE

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Interesting....where do u buy it? Can I get some in CA? Maybe worth a try. I've tried everything else already.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby MOE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:32 pm

I would assume that you can get it at dispensaries with a card. A friend got me some in San Diego that way.
MOE

Postby lesliemarie21 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:47 am

I live in a state where these oils, etc are not legal yet. Do you know if these kinds of oils show up on a drug test? I have a CA in my left temporal lobe and I have complex partial seizures that I take medication for.. headaches 2-3 times a week, nausea daily, anxiety, heavy pulsations in my head, along with a lot of other symptoms.. I am over all of the medications and the side affects. If I could find ONE thing that was natural and could help me.. it would be amazing. A dream come true. I would fly to California just to get it.
lesliemarie21

Postby Elizabeth » Tue May 30, 2017 4:48 am

I'm not sure but you could call and ask all your questions. The realm of caring...aka www.theROC.us, is a nonprofit that is familiar with a lot of the reputable oil companies. From my research, it seems these cbd oils are really therapeutic for a ton of symptoms/diagnosis...but for people with angiomas, I would be concerned about the blood thinning properties of the oils. The two main risks I see are blood thinning and lowering blood pressure is your pressure is already normal or low. Do your research and ask your doctors first.
Elizabeth

Postby MOE » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm

I wanted to add that I recently contacted my "ex-paraplegic" friend who lives in Colorado (I'm in Costa Rica) to see if he could recommend some oils bought online and he couldn't; he said most are really watered down and don't do much to help with the nervous system.

He said the US medical marijuana industry is very much the capitalist model applied to the industry; its all about making money and that makes oils very watered down. He said if you can't make it yourself go for the purest most expensive stuff.

If you're in California look for a Dr. William Courtney.

For those of you that live in more backwards states; I've found that these products help somewhat:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GAO91K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/VitaScents-Hemp-Soothing-Muscle-Jelly/dp/B01IAVPUKK/ref=pd_sim_325_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01IAVPUKK&pd_rd_r=XRSDRASBXGQNH54WM81Y&pd_rd_w=2Jmnn&pd_rd_wg=wi5u7&psc=1&refRID=XRSDRASBXGQNH54WM81Y

Read the reviews, it might help with pain.

Unfortunately if you want nausea relief you will have to get high, there's no way around it. The good news is its a side effect of pretty much any weed.
MOE

Postby MOE » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Elizabeth wrote:for people with angiomas, I would be concerned about the blood thinning properties of the oils. The two main risks I see are blood thinning and lowering blood pressure is your pressure is already normal or low. Do your research and ask your doctors first.

I'm not sure were you got the blood thinning from as it has seemed to reduce the possibility of having a rebleed. Certain vibrations like sitting down hard would have terrible consequences, now nothing seems to happen but it definitely lowers you BP, even smoking weed lowers it so some circulatory problems could develop further down the line.

Let's face it, before cannabis I was throwing up 3-4 times a day, weighed 120 lbs (I'm 5'9"), 50% of my body was numb with pins and needles and I was alone, living in my parents house. Now I have no nausea, weigh 145 lbs, about 15% of my body is numb and has pins and needles, I'm married and have 3 year old son and even have a part-time job from home. Sorry but lesser of two evils.
MOE

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:58 am

Moe,
Great news!! I love all the success you have enjoyed as a result. I will look again for the "blood thinning" risk. I found it in several places and then called the ROC (Realm of caring) and they confirmed what I read. Blood thinning is a very possible side effect from what I read, but I'm not disagreeing that there could be a risk/benefit to consider. Thin blood doesn't "cause" bleeds, but it could make a bleed worse by bleeding more. When I find the link about possible blood thinning with cbd oil I will post it. Congratulations again on your great progress!
Elizabeth

Next

Return to Living With Cavernous Angioma