Hip surgery

Discussions of issues related to living with cavernous angiomas

Hip surgery

Postby cat6 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:53 am

Hi All,

It looks like I might have to have hip surgery. The general recommendation is to take a blood thinner like Coumadin for a month after surgery to prevent blood clots. I have been able to avoid blood thinners for all these years, but I have tried tylenol, PT, acupuncture, Celebrex, hip injection of steroid, and now osteopathic treatment. If the osteopathic treatment doesn't help, it's looking like I'll need surgery.

Has anyone faced this?

Thanks in advance!
Cat6
cat6

Re: Hip surgery

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:51 am

There have been others that had to have short courses of blood thinners. As far as I remember, the people did fine. Work closely with your doctors, and did decide what's best...its always a risk benefit. I think I remember someone else had a screen put in somewhere to "catch" any clots.try to do a search of the old threads and see if you can find the old talks...I can't remember who it was or when, but you are not the first person. Good luck!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby Michelle2000 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:29 am

My MIL had an IVC filter ("screen") placed to catch clots, but it was not related to surgery. She was able to avoid using blood thinners with it, though.

Best wishes,

Michelle
17 year old son with brainstem CM resected in March 2010, CM at C2-C3,
CCM2 mutation; DH & BIL with multiples in brain and spine; (MIL - deceased spine & brain)
Michelle2000

Postby Richmond » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:44 pm

Any updates? I'm in a similar situation. It looks like I'm going to need a hip surgery too.
Richmond

Postby paarjg » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:40 am

Hello, I'm a close to a year out of date in this reply. A month ago I was diagnosed with Cavernous Angioma in the vicinity of the left front ventricle. It's medium sized, around 2.5 x 3.5 x 2 cm in size. I never had any symptoms except for cough headaches that began last fall (2017). Long story short, after 2 MRI and 1 CT and my neurosurgeon diagnosed me with CA. He stated the CA had nothing to do with my cough headaches, which makes sense to me.

Roll back to October 2016 when I had a total hip replacement. I did not know at that time about the CA. Following surgery, I had around 20 daily shots of a blood thinner in my tummy skin (short needle, almost no discomfort) administered by my more-than-hesitant wife (bless her!). I don't know what the drug was, just didn't pay attention to it. My recovery was complete, and I never had any symptoms from the CA from the blood thinner or otherwise since the surgery.

You have likely had your surgery already, but perhaps this message will help others. God bless!
paarjg

Return to Living With Cavernous Angioma