Should I Do Surgery?

Discussions of issues related to living with cavernous angiomas

Should I Do Surgery?

Postby Soscared23 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:31 pm

What are some complications after surgery? Mine is set next week and the surgeon said it’s in an accessible part which is right infront of the motor area (right side) but the end of the temple lobe. He said I may have weakness on the left side but will get better in time.
Soscared23

Re: Should I Do Surgery?

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Welcome,

Yes, I know how scary the thought of surgery is. It was the hardest choice I've ever had to make. Mine was deep in a very difficult location. Hour's sounds "easy"... So hopefully all goes well. Complications typically vary by location, surgeon's skill, patient's current health, and a million other things. The doctor is the best one to explain the possible risks. I personally consulted with several experts because my surgical location was very difficult and I wanted to be sure I had the very best possible outcome. Brain surgery is a big deal no matter what, so make sure you are very comfortable with ur doctor...if not... Find a new one. With the temporal lobe involved, I would guess there might be some risk of seizures...do you have seizures already? If not, ask about that risk. You can read the main site too...there are lists of questions to ask your doctor and lists to prepare for surgery. Our site has lots of good information. Best wishes!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Re: Should I Do Surgery?

Postby Michelle2000 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:14 am

Soscared23 -

Please let us know how your surgery went.

Wishing you all the best,

Michelle
17 year old son with brainstem CM resected in March 2010, CM at C2-C3,
CCM2 mutation; DH & BIL with multiples in brain and spine; (MIL - deceased spine & brain)
Michelle2000

Return to Living With Cavernous Angioma