Blood Thinners

Discussions of issues related to living with cavernous angiomas

Blood Thinners

Postby Nick DeFilippis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:15 am

I have a CA and have also been diagnosed w/ DVT's (clots in the leg). I could not ambulate due to these clots. After speaking with the vascular doc as well as a hematologist I went to see a top neuro surgeon in NYC (already have a top neurologist) to discuss anticoagulants-both the neuro surgeon and neurologist confirmed the risk for a bleed is low and treating the clots is more important. Anyone out there share this situation? I have begun therapy but am very scared.
Nick DeFilippis

Re: Blood Thinners

Postby Libby » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:53 am

I have multiples and just recently had a large blood clot in one leg. Because they didn't want to use blood thinners, they put in a screen that doesn't make the clot go away, but does keep it from going to my heart, lungs, or other dangerous places.
However, there are times that using a blood thinner is better then the alternative. Blood clots can kill you. Cavernous angioma bleeds can be nasty, but usually not deadly. On the old forum I know we had someone one blood thinners. I certainly would recommend getting off them as soon as you can, but you have to do what you have to do. It must be scary though.
multiple ccms in brain including thalamus and in brainstem. 9 bleeds . Large venous angioma and multiple large veins in the brain. Various lymphangiomas and hemangiomas in head.
Libby

Postby Nick DeFilippis » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:26 am

Libby I sent you an email not realizing I can post as well.

I did have a screen put in 5/10 when I had a blood clot in my left calf but
I have several blood clots this time around in both legs and pelvic area so
there appeared to be no choice. The CA I have bleed within itself but no
other symptoms. I have had MRI's done and it appears to always be the same.
If you can find out who the other person is on blood thinners I would
appreciate it.
Nick DeFilippis

Postby Libby » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:35 am

You can either enter blood clots on either the search listed on the right side up top or the old forum archives. Good luck.
multiple ccms in brain including thalamus and in brainstem. 9 bleeds . Large venous angioma and multiple large veins in the brain. Various lymphangiomas and hemangiomas in head.
Libby

Return to Living With Cavernous Angioma