Reflexology - surprisingly good results

Announcements of drug trials and other treatment information

Reflexology - surprisingly good results

Postby MOE » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:40 pm

With my brainstem angioma I've really kept an open mind and promised myself to at least try things once, even if it sounds silly, its illegal or its frowned upon by society.

Since at least 50% of my CA is inoperable and the 50% that is operable has already been removed by dangerous surgery then there's not much else to do but sit around and wait for this thing to kill me. Not every single thing has worked; a friend of my family recommended a magnet therapy, said it helped a blind girl see again. I spent a good $3000 on that and I got absolutely no benefit, even smoking pot at least got rid of my morning sickness and increased my appetite.

Ok so the meat and potatoes; yesterday a cousin's wife offered to do a Reflexology or or Zone Therapy session on me.

According to Wikipedia:
Reflexology, or zone therapy, is an alternative medicine involving the physical act of applying pressure to the feet, hands, or ears with specific thumb, finger, and hand techniques without the use of oil or lotion. It is based on what reflexologists claim to be a system of zones and reflex areas that they say reflect an image of the body on the feet and hands, with the premise that such work affects a physical change to the body.[1] A 2009 systematic review of randomised controlled trials concludes: "The best evidence available to date does not demonstrate convincingly that reflexology is an effective treatment for any medical condition."[2]

There is no consensus among reflexologists on how reflexology is supposed to work; a unifying theme is the idea that areas on the foot correspond to areas of the body, and that by manipulating these one can improve health through one's qi.[3] Reflexologists divide the body into ten equal vertical zones, five on the right and five on the left.[4] Concerns have been raised by medical professionals that treating potentially serious illnesses with reflexology, which has no proven efficacy, could delay the seeking of appropriate medical treatment.[5]

Currently the left side of my body is numb with pins and needles, with reflexology I feel a bit less dizzy and I can even take a few steps without my wheelchair and my left side feels less numb and more responsive.

There's still quite a long road to recovery and since I haven't gotten an MRI in a while I honestly couldn't say what's happening internally.
Last edited by MOE on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MOE

Re: Reflexology - surprisingly good results

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Thanks for sharing your update and congratulations on your progress. I appreciate and admire your willingness to try things "outside of the box". I wish you the best on your recovery.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby MOE » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:35 pm

This is not a cure for your CA but it might help "reduce" the side effects and even improve your feeling and circulation. I've tried other massages such as Reiki (Aura sensing) and other such nonesense and have ended up feeling the same.

Only reflexology has made my left side tingle were no other type of massage has helped so it might be worth looking into.
Last edited by MOE on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOE

Postby kirkmc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:00 pm

Placebo effect. Or maybe just a good massage (I've always liked foot massages, and find them relaxing.)

Kirk
Two brainstem CAs in the pons. Big Bleed in July 2005, previous, undiagnosed bleeds in 1982 and 1987, and several smaller bleeds in the past few years. I live in a town in the French Alps. http://www.mcelhearn.com
kirkmc
Site Admin

Postby MOE » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Reflexology is basically a type of foot massage but focusing on specific points; it can hurt a little as you get massaged in the same spot over and over but overall good stuff.
MOE

Postby adelle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:45 pm

If it works for you, go for it! It can't hurt anything (I don't think!).
One brainstem CA removed by Dr. Spetzler on 9/28/10. 2 CA's remain on the right frontal lobe but have not caused any problems that I know of.
adelle

Return to Drug Trials