Sister Recently Diagonsed in Toronto

Concerns specific to those in Canada

Sister Recently Diagonsed in Toronto

Postby atul » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:00 am

Hello,

My sister lives in Markham, Ontario and developed a constant headache and vomiting (after eating/drinking anything) after she inhaled bleach fumes over 3 months ago while she sprayed Javex on bathroom tiles.

For 3 months she kept going back and forth with doctors who thought that she had migraine, but no medication worked. After 3 months, an MRI was done 10 days ago and she is yet to have her first appointment with the neurologist who doesn't seem very keen to see her. She had to call multiple times to get an appointment. For someone who has not been eating or drinking much and vomiting it anyway, she has lost her energy and is on the bed 24 hours and can barely speak. So I have started doing the research on her behalf.

Here is what the report says:

"In the inferior left frontal lobe there is a focus of bright T2 signal which is slightly hypointense on T1. This measures 5mm in size. This demonstrates moderate blooming artifact on the susceptibility imaging. No significant local mass effect.There are a few punctate areas of bright T2 and FLAIR signal within the supratentorial white matter which are likely related to small vessel disease. No midline shift. No space-occupying mass.The MR angiography of the Circle of Willis is within normal limits.There is some bright T1 signal within the mid aspect of the nasal bone which may be related to some marrow signal. The rest of the examination is unremarkable.
Impression: Findings in the inferiror left frontal lobe are suggestive of a small caveromam. Mild background age-related changes."

She is over 50 years old. The doctor who gave her the report said that she has a blood clot in the brain. Is it same as caveroma? My sister does not yet know how serious her problem is.
After reading through some posts and doing some research on the internet, it looks like there is no drug yet for this disease.
I don't think that she will be able to go on like this anymore. She can't stand her 24 hour headache and vomiting anymore.
After going through this story (http://bit.ly/12s8MtJ), it looks like there aren't really any competent surgeons in Canada. Her benefit plan will not cover any expenses for surgery done in the U.S.
What really are her options to get a surgery done in Canada? Is there a good surgeon with experience in Canada? Is her caveroma located in an area where surgery can be performed easily?
Would you recommend any good neurologist in Toronto?

Thanks.
atul

Re: Sister Recently Diagonsed in Toronto

Postby vandy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Hello Atul,

Welcome to the forum. Great you are such an advocate for your sister. Its very important to people with Cavernous Angioma to have strong support, and you are definitely it. Thank you.

As for the many questions that remain. Try to visit the hospital where the MRI was taken and request a copy of the MRI on disc. Then when you obtain this disc, mail it to a Dr. Robert Spetzler in Phoenix AZ. He can provide you with a more definite answer to what your sister has. He does not charge any person outside of the USA for his services and he was very swift in responding to my case. The first MRI was diagnosed and a treatment plan was offered in less than a week.

If he confirms that it is a Cavernous Angioma, you can move on from there.

Have your family Dr. refer you to a Dr. Wallace in Toronto to have him give his opinion on surgery for whatever it is that is in your sisters brain. The key thing right now, would be to get a proper diagnosis and see how you can move on from there.

As for a good neurologist, you will have wait to see which other Canadians in Toronto area can assist you with that part. I see my neurologist in Hamilton, and he has been very supportive for me.

Please make sure your sister becomes aware of all the precautions to take, when it comes to specific medications, like advil and ibuprofen that may thin the blood as well as blood thinning foods and food supplements like vitamin e and fish oils in higher doses.

Feel free to continue to ask questions and once again thank you for being such an excellent support for your sister.

Wish her well.

Henk :ugeek:
vandy

Postby atul » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi Henk,

Thanks for your reply. It's great to know that Dr. Spetzler does not charge Canadians. She already has a disc of MRI. She had her appointment with the neurologist recently. He told her that it could be stress related and has decided to put her on stress related medications for 3 months. He has also recommended another MRI.
I don't really think that she will be able to stand her constant headache for another 3 months.
I will advise her to send her reports to Dr. Spetzler.
Thanks also for advising about Dr. Wallace.I have searched for his information online and this is where he seems to be located:

Dr. M Christopher Wallace, MD
399 Bathurst St. #WW4-450
Toronto, Ontario M5T-2S
(416)603 - 5428

Thanks for your other suggestions too.

Best Wishes,
Atul
atul

Postby vandy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Atul,

Not to cause any real negative feelings, but I have been suffering from really bad headaches for the past 2.5 years and they are not going away at all. No pain relief There are others on this forum that have had bad headaches for many more years than I do. Sorry :(

Hope you get a chance to hear more from the experts.

vandy

Postby atul » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi Henk,

I'm really sorry about your condition. Thanks for being upfront about it.
I hope that the headaches go away for all the sufferers. I will pray for it.

Best Wishes,
Atul
atul

Postby vandy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Thank You Atul,

Much appreciated.

vandy

Postby shawnm26 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 pm

FYI,

Here is some info for Dr.Wallace. He now works in Kingston ON. There is talk that he will also be one of the key note speakers at our Canadian Conference in June. ")

http://www.medstaffportal.ca/blog.aspx?pg=10

ShawnM26
shawnm26

Return to Canada