CA in brainstem and steroids?

Announcements of drug trials and other treatment information

CA in brainstem and steroids?

Postby Oliam75 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:59 am

Hello everyone
Hoping someone may be able to help. I have a cav. AngiomA in my brain stem. I also have a herniated disc. In my spine and have had sciatica for the past four months. I have conflicting advice from Drs. Does anyone now if I can take a medr steroid pack? My neurologist said it was ok to take alleve but after reading some posts on this site I may cease it all together.
Thanking u in advance.
Oliam75

Re: CA in brainstem and steroids?

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:54 am

I am not a doctor and I think its wise to consult with one or more cavernous angioma expert doctors, but I would guess they'd say steroids are OK, since they are often given after a bleed to reduce swelling. But alleve, advil and any nsaids, no...do not take them. That's just my understanding though, you should consult with the experts. Good luck and lots of ice. My husband had a herniated disc and it was really painful.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Postby Oliam75 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm really confused as my neurologist is the person advising me to take NSAIDs? She doesn't like the idea of dose steroid pack. I live an hour outside Chicago. Could any one suggest a neurologist whom I might be able to get a second opinion.
Oliam75

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:55 am

??? Neurologist??? I don't know finding a good one is hard, but in Chicago... Dr. Awad is the go to expert. I'd ask him if I was you.
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Return to Drug Trials