Head pain NOT due to CCM...what?

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

Head pain NOT due to CCM...what?

Postby Carterst4 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:07 am

We are quite frustrated and maybe just do not understand but has anyone else been advised from your neurosurgeons and/or neurologist the excessive head pain is NOT from the cavernous malformation and that CCMs don't typically cause head pain. We find this very difficult to understand or even agree with and with debilitating relentless head pain without much help from any prescriptions. Is this common and are any of you dealing with this? If so, are there RX that have helped?
Carterst4

Re: Head pain NOT due to CCM...what?

Postby Michelle2000 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:27 am

I'm sorry you are having this problem, but no, you are not alone. Unfortunately, many people are told that the CM isn't causing their symptoms, even though no other explanation is given. Headaches and vision changes are frequent symptoms. It is possible that fatigue caused by the brain injury makes headache more likely. Muscle weakness in one area could cause other muscles to compensate and fatigue more quickly, also causing pain.

Finding a doctor who is experienced with CM patients is important. Given that, we often think my son's CM/surgical path cause a certain symptom or issue, but the doctors can't attribute it to that. They at least acknowledge that it could be related, though.

Best wishes,

Michelle
18 year old son with brainstem CM resected in March 2010, CM at C2-C3,
CCM2 mutation; DH & BIL with multiples in brain and spine; (MIL - deceased spine & brain)
Michelle2000

Re: Head pain NOT due to CCM...what?

Postby Carterst4 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 am

Michelle,

Thank you again for your time and consideration with providing some insight. We have tried multiple different head pain medications and I feel like my husband becomes extremely frustrated when we are even prescribed a migraine medication to control these extremely severe symptoms. I tried to advise him that although they are calling them migraine medications they could potentially work to help remedy the severity of his head pain unfortunately we have not yet found any that have worked. This is a vicious and rigorous cycle that I feel a lot of cavernous patients are unfortunately dealing with.
Carterst4

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma