Question about cavernoma

Discussions about the illness, treatments, doctors, etc.

Question about cavernoma

Postby yaram » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Hello

In 2005 i woke up and threw up and then hallucinated and passed out. My parents rushed me to the ER where MRI and CT was done and It turned out I had a cavernoma in the left parietal artery. The doctor put me on a seizure medication for 6 months although I never had any seizures but he thought its a good preventive method at the time. After about 6 months I was taken off the medications (again I never had any seizures). Today its been 14 years, I am now 24, I due MRIs and CTs on regular basis for check ups but thankfully I have not had any other bleedings or any seizures. I have traveled a lone and lived a completely normal life (minus the bad headaches sometimes).
I have been considering for the longest time getting a nose job as I hate my nose however my biggest fear is if the Cavernoma would cause complications in the surgery or the surgery would promote bleeding or extra pressure on the brain. I have consulted my brain surgeon and he assured me that i should be fine however the plastic surgeon informed me that with my condition its very risky. I know that you cant give me a definitive answer but I honestly need advice for a general case where a bleeding happened and it never occurred again for 14 years with no side effects other than bad headaches sometimes.. would rhinoplasty be ok ? as I hate my nose but also don't want to do it if it will end up with me having a bleeding or seizures or sth bad and I don't know if I am overreacting because I have done a tonsillitis two years ago under full anesthesia and was fine.but the nose is closer to the brain so I'm not sure if t makes a difference.
Sorry for the long message but I really need advice and Im lost
thank you for takign the time to answer me <3
yaram

Re: Question about cavernoma

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:33 am

Welcome,

I'm not sure. I can understand there could be increased risk of bleeding if you underwent a traditional rhinoplasty. I'm not a doctor, and so I actually have no idea, but from just general understanding of the procedure...I personally wouldn't want to take the risk. Usually, if I am correct, the procedure involves breaking your nose and then "resetting it". The breaking seems risky..impact, maybe increased pressure. Often times patients end up with black eyes afterwards as a result and I wouldn't want that same risk of bleeding in my brain. But, I'm not sure if this is an option, what about a specialized surgeon that does " minimally invasive rhinoplasty "? Is there such a thing? I think they can shave off parts, and do more minor modifications. Is that an option? I'm not sure, just a suggestion to look into if you're really wanting a change but not wanting a huge risk. Good luck whatever you decide!
Diagnosed September '09 with one CM centered in the right insular cortex/basal ganglia. Saw many, many doctors and had surgery 12/10/10 with Dr. Spetzler. I am thrilled to have this bleeding thing out of my head even though I suffered a stroke during surgery. Have had/ continue to make an amazing recovery. http://www.thankfulforeveryday.blogspot.com
Elizabeth

Return to Questions and Information About Cavernous Angioma